I hope each and every one of you remains healthy and safe during these unprecedented times. We have all been through a lot since the beginning of the new millennium, starting with: The Y2K expected shutdown, the 2001 9-11 terrorist attack, the economic downturn of 2008 and 2009, and now 2020 COVID-19. The one thing that’s constant is that we will persevere as we always do and this crisis will provide more lessons learned so that we are all prepared for the next time this happens.
The shame of it all from a business perspective is that 2020 started out so well for our industry. The winter weather was mild, the demand was strong, and both private and public work looked to be strong throughout the year. This COVID–19 crisis will be behind us soon and life will start to get back to some semblance of normal. The Water Works Business will thrive once again with the hiccups being the 2nd Quarter. Here are a few thoughts and observations from the “Polish Prince”:
- I’ve come to love the word “postponed” and despise the word “cancelled”!
- Because of travel restrictions we now have to communicate by phone, text, or e-mail. I noticed many of you have changed your cellphone numbers to stop hearing from me.
- Millennials, who are perceived to be “City Dwellers” are starting to realize that living in the suburbs like many of their parents is pretty desirable during times like these. The demand in the next several years for single-family homes will grow throughout North America.
- Charitable Giving – It’s times like these that we realize just how fortunate we all are to have our health, our families and friends, and it’s a great time to give back to those of us who are not so lucky. Giving to your church, the Red Cross, health care agencies, etc., is not only good for the organizations it’s good for the soul.
- What will the “New Normal” look like? Sporting events, concerts, theaters, etc. will continue to struggle until everyone is comfortable that there is not a threat to one’s health. We are all hoping for a vaccine so life can resume and people can gather safely.
Here are some personal thoughts while being shut in these last several weeks:
- Right To Vote. My senior year of college I wrote a paper on “Why I believe everyone should not have the right to vote”. Watch the Netflix series “Tiger King” and then consider that these people can vote and even worse that that – they can breed!
- Family Pitch Games have turned into a version of WWE. My daughter Leanna and boyfriend Joey don’t realize that letting her parents win once in a while is in their long-term best interest.
- Eating From Home. – Thanks to Chris and the kids we have never eaten so well. Please wave to me when you see me flying by with “Good Year” printed across my chest.
- Life Without Sports. I’m miserable watching sporting events from 5, 10, or even 40 years ago. Gambling degenerates Steve McDonald and Chris King were betting on Australian Rules Football and Russian Basketball because they were so bored!
All in all my faith in humanity during this crisis has been restored. There are so many good stories about our health care heroes working long shifts and sacrificing their personal lives to help others, and acts of charity and kindness from ordinary people have been amazing. We are one in this battle against COVID-19 and everyday we are closer to the end. Stay safe, stay healthy, and follow the guidelines and this will be in the rear view mirror soon.