The 28th Rybacki Memorial Golf Tournament is in the books and it was another record breaker! We raised $106,000 for Prostate Cancer research to support the work of Dr. Mary Ellen Taplin of The Dana-Farber Cancer Institute.
We had 144 golfers play in Massachusetts with another 12 in Birmingham, Alabama thanks to our friends at Spec Rubber. Sixteen of our group played in the morning and 128 in the afternoon, as the field is full at 128. Next year if we get over 168 golfers, we will do a double shotgun at 8:00 AM and 12:45 PM. Due to the overwhelming response, we had to turn a few groups away this year, and we don’t like doing that.
Some of The Highlights
- We had our first all-women team with Karen Glick, Meghan Brescia, Dian Brasselton, and Gina Cotton.
- Fourteen companies from The Water Works Industry were represented and The Water Industry contributed the bulk of sponsorships, which was much appreciated!
- This year marked the first time in history that the person who won the male closest to the pin prize also got the “Drapeau” Award for most useless participant – John Jurgowich.
- Long time player and supporter, Chris’s brother Randy Drapeau, was sorely missed. He died of Pancreatic Cancer two months prior. This was always Randy’s favorite day of the year.
- The bartenders, cart girls, and snack shack ladies were all sore from pouring so many alcoholic beverages. This group partied hard, but without incident.
- Cindy Dayotas brought her daughter to help out with the tournament for the first time. She is now in therapy.
Great weather, great people for a great cause, doesn’t get any better.